Monday, February 9, 2015

The Bookmaid's Starter List of Books by Women Writers by Becky Stowe



The Bookmaid’s Starter List of Books By Women Writers
by Becky Stowe

With Hissy Fit’s focus on the representation of women in the media for this month’s edition, I began thinking about a form of media and entertainment that is always on my mind; books (I’m an English major who works in a bookstore. Books are all I think about). As a bibliophile and a feminist, I am all too aware of how few books by female writers we all read. Sure there’s always the classics like Jane Austen, Mary Shelley or any of the Brönte sisters, but those can be a bit dated for today’s readers. I’m often asked for my recommendations on books as a reader, but now I’d like to give you some recommendations as a reader and a feminist!

Disclaimers: No Stephanie Meyer or E.L. James. You can read them if you want but I’m not going to go out of my way to recommend them. Also, this list will be in alphabetical order of the author’s last name as opposed to ranking them best to worst (down with the patriarchal hierarchies!!!).



Americanah by Chimamanda Adichie
This novel about “race, love and identity” in a post-9/11 world has received high praise from authors and editorials alike. You may recognize her as the woman whose TED talk was sampled in Beyoncé’s “Flawless”. It’s clear that she deserves to be known for far more than that so watch her TED talk and then pick up a copy of this book.

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
I’m not lying when I say this is one of the scariest books I’ve ever read in my short yet expansive reading career(*editor’s note: AGREED*). It’s set in a totalitarian Christian society that has overthrown the government and has completely repressed women into beings worth little more than livestock. As unappealing as this may sound, this speculative fiction serves well as a warning as to what could happen if we let far right wing Republicans take the White House in 2016 –I mean, what could happen if we don’t fight for our rights.

Kissing The Witch by Emma Donoghue
First of all, this is a re-telling of classic fairytales was done long before Once Upon A Time was even a thing so don’t you dare compare the two. Donoghue puts feminist and queer twists on stories we all thought we knew . These tales are short, dark, and decadently sweet compared to Walt Disney’s version of Grimm’s fairy tales.

Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johnson
A fantasy novel set in the 24th century with the best of Renaissance Faire fantasy worlds paired with Hunger Games/Divergent dystopia. Young Kelsea finds out that she is heir to the throne of a kingdom under the thumb of another. She’s super badass but realistic at the same time. They’re casting Emma Watson as her in the movie. That’s all I need to say.

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Yay for graphic memoirs! This is an autobiographical novel about growing up in Iran during the Iranian Revolution. The readers get to see (literally since it’s all pictures) young Marjane struggle with her identity as an Iranian, a Muslim and as woman in an increasingly Westernized world.  

1 comment:

  1. I am in the middle of reading Americanah now! Adichie is incredibly talented and there are so many life lessons I've learned. I will put it in the WGS Resource Library in Rachel Cooper Hall to share with all when I am done!

    ReplyDelete