Monday, November 3, 2014

Renouncing Allowance: Exploring Gender Inequalities and Rape Culture Through Dance Part II: The Feedback By: Abra Myles



Renouncing Allowance: Exploring Gender Inequalities and Rape Culture Through Dance
Part II: The Feedback

By: Abra Myles

         In my previous installment of this series, I gave a basic premise of what my piece is about. I was obviously aware that this would create many challenges for me as a choreographer, and would create just as many challenges for my dancers and audience members. Even as a writer, I feel like this piece alone is pushing me to new heights as an overall artist that enjoys creating things that raise a few eyebrows here and there. Ultimately, I was fully anticipating the feedback I received from my faculty and peers during an informal showing of my “work in progress”. Overall, the feedback was mostly positive, however I could not shake the feeling of some negative undertones that might be solely based on fear and ignorance. After all, I am not one to hate on others just because they are ignorant. That is why we create mediums in which people can not only express, but also educate others on a new perspective.

I guess I will get down to the feedback (warning: this could come off as a “rant”)…

I received formal feedback from the dance faculty in a works in progress showing. The initial responses were great, as all of them enjoyed my movement vocabulary. I got the sense that they were all able to recognize that this piece, while uncomfortable for some to take in, is a serious and important issue that needs to be addressed. I think where we do not always see eye to eye is how to address these issues and why. As a choreographer, motivation and intention is key to having an effective piece that the audience can understand, or at least walk away with some sort of thought or call to action. This particular piece is one of those call to actions. At the very least, my desire is to have each audience member walk away thinking about how the images present reflect what is really going on in our world today.
 Aside from enjoying the movement vocabulary, some of the faculty raised some questions as to whether or not it was more effective to approach this in a more abstract or literal way. As of now, the piece gives a little bit of both. There are some ambiguous moments that happen, in which the audience will have to figure it out for themselves, and other times where it is clear and to the point. Ultimately by the end of it, it will be clear that inequality and violent acts are being shown. It will evoke emotions and hopefully a call to action to redirect our thinking in our own lives, as it relates to how we view rape culture in general and how that effects both men and women. One of the faculty members made a point to state that the piece was presenting the male presence as the villain. To me, dance is a form of storytelling, and just about every story has a villain. It sucks that it has to be the male, as I do not discredit that males can be victims of rape culture as well. However, I am female and the majority of my cast are female. It is inevitable that the female perspective will overpower the male’s. I am trying my hardest to make sure that my male’s voices are being heard, however we cannot deny that the male species has been the oppressors for so long that it is time that females have a chance to speak up.
         I am giving females an opportunity through this dance to have a voice, as so many of them have not been able to until now. The comment of the males being the villain is a constant inner struggle that I have as a choreographer, as I do not want this to be viewed as a “male bashing” piece, as I believe that is not what feminism is about. However, I have to make it clear that in order to achieve equality, we must give everyone a chance to be heard. Women have been silenced and made to feel as if their stories do not matter for so long, especially when it comes to this particular topic. Ultimately, I know that the overall response will be positive, or at least provoke thought in others. My peers had great reactions to the piece, as it caused them to ask questions and begin generating their own opinions about this topic that they did not even know they had. The feedback was helpful, as it definitely generated some more thought into how I want this piece to be presented. The creative process continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment