Monday, October 6, 2014

Renouncing Allowance: Exploring Gender Inequality and Rape Culture Through Dance By: Abra Myles

Renouncing Allowance: Exploring Gender Inequality and Rape Culture Through Dance

By: Abra Myles


              It started with a question. It seems as if all great works, discoveries, and innovations started with a question. I am in no way saying that this new journey that I am about to embark on is anything revolutionary, innovative, or special. It is simply addressing an initial question that has evolved into even more questions. We all choose to explore our questions through different mediums. Whether it is through science, art, literature, philosophy, or all of the above, there is this need to explore these questions in hopes of finding an answer. Sometimes these answers lead to an immediate call to action, while many times we simply just stumble upon new questions.
            Here is my initial question: Why is it acceptable for men to be topless and expose their chest and torso area without any scrutiny, while females are required to cover up? Of course, this question was answered immediately in my mind and through other people’s responses. Surely, it would be ridiculous to see women’s breasts hanging out all day long. It would be a total distraction, especially for men, as they would be more likely to engage in inappropriate behaviors with the woman. We wouldn’t want to tempt the man. Besides, it’s just the way things are in our society.
Of course these answers led me to more questions. Why are women’s bodies seen only as sexual objects? Specifically referring to the women’s breasts, why are they only seen as something that is pleasing to the eye sexually? We know that the breasts serve various functions other than sexual pleasure. Why is it not a distraction to see the male physique? Males have attractive qualities in their chest and torso area that women find attractive. What makes the male body so special that it is not perceived to be something that is allowed to be objectified? Question after question kept entering my brain, until finally I decided I had to explore them and find some legitimate answers.
              I’m a dancer and choreographer. Dance has always been my primary form of expression and communication. Now, more than ever, I’ve realized the importance and impact that dance can have when it comes to exploration. So, I decided to embark on a new quest. I decided that I would choreograph a piece that would address some of these questions.
              I knew that this journey would not be easy, as this would require a ton of research, self- exploration, communication with a variety of sources, and courage to expose these questions to a larger audience. I began by googling some of my questions in hopes that I would find random blogs, articles, videos, Tumblr rants, Instagram memes, etc. that would give me a clearer picture of what I really wanted to say. What I found is that the overall concept of the inequality of revealing one’s body parts between men and women was only a small portion of a bigger issue.
              One of the first things I stumbled upon was information regarding the “modesty doctrine”. I found countless articles, blogs, and YouTube rants from women and men about how this idea is a direct link to rape culture. A basic definition of the modesty doctrine is the belief that women need to cover their bodies to prevent men from being attracted to them. Along with this is the assumption that men have a right to a woman’s body. Through my research and intimate conversations with friends that have been victims of rape and/or various forms of sexual harassment and abuse, I discovered that this piece was no longer about my initial question. There was a bigger question to be addressed that would definitely lead to a call to action. I realized that this mentality that has been instilled in us as a society for so long has been the cause of so much pain and shame among women. Men also suffer from this, as gender stereotypes and expectations are heavily reinforced through this absurd thinking.
              I realized that this piece was not just about making a statement, but a call to change and healing. I’ve already begun the rehearsal process, and I’m discovering that there is a unique opportunity for others to be enlightened, inspired, and encouraged to take a stand against this mentality that is often a gateway to horrid acts of violence and instilling
              It all comes down to allowance. Women are not only put in a place of abuse and scrutiny, but have been conditioned to allow these things to happen to them. The allowance is what contributes to the shame and the feelings of lack of value and worth. This piece is about renouncing that shame. It is a renouncement of all allowances that would hinder the empowerment, acceptance, and genuine respect for all people, but particularly women that have been victimized, oppressed and abused for so long. It is an invitation for all women to realize their strength and that they as individuals are more than a pretty piece of flesh to be desired by a
              It has definitely been an emotionally grueling process for myself and my dancers so far, but I strongly believe that this is necessary in order to invite courage among all of us to offer solutions and answers to these complex questions. While this particular project consists of my dancers embodying certain “characters” that do not necessarily reflect who they are as people in their everyday lives, all of the scenarios presented reflect real life situations. This piece will also present literal and abstract themes and ideas, in order to paint an overall picture that each audience member can latch onto. Along with my choreographic process, I will be using this platform to provide bi­monthly updates and communicate with readers about what my dancers and I are exploring and discovering in our rehearsal process, in hopes that this project will reach people beyond the dance community on the campus of ISU. The issues being addressed in this piece are a worldwide issue that goes beyond what I am doing. It is my hope that my piece will plant a seed for people to start having a more open dialogue about this particular issue and that a safe place is created for this to happen. In the future I will probably include some video clips, along with some of the dancers’ commentary. Feedback is greatly encouraged and appreciated.
A little bit more about the logistics of this piece….
Every year, Dance Association (a dance RSO on campus) hosts a student choreographed concert called “Dance Inventions” in the spring semester. Members of this organization are given the opportunity to choreograph original works. These works are adjudicated by the dance faculty, as they pick which pieces will be allowed to perform in the concert. Pieces are also adjudicated to determine which ones will go to American College Dance Association (formerly known as American College Dance Festival) in March. In addition to being adjudicated and hopefully performed in the student choreographed concert, a section of this piece will be performed at Dance Association’s event, RSO Live, on October 17th at 7pm in the Brown Ballroom (Bone Student Center). Admission is 3 dollars.
Please stay tuned for what is to come, and I look forward to sharing more with all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment